Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Few Days at Once

PB and I have started to settle into our new house, and like all sane, non-child bearing couples we each claimed a room as "mine". His is a typical man-cave; except that it's bright purple (heeheehee I love it!) It's has a computer desk, couch and T.V. mine is much more fabulous, with an armoire, desk and shelving unit. It was extra fabulously organized too, until ourshipment arrived. We've successfully moved boxes into the appropriate rooms and have even unpacked most of them. But this is what awaits me in my room...

You wouldn't want to unpack it all either, would you!? It's on my to-do list for this weekend,

but I gotta be honest, its a wee bit low on the list. I LOATH unpacking. And packing. Alright, lets be honest. I love to buy stuff but never manage to get everything put away in a timely manner. It's enough to drive PB mad... which is why we have our own rooms. See how that works?

And now for Wednesday's photos: Homemade Pumpkin Puree


I know, the pumpkins look scary here, but bear with me...

In the States, ya'll can just wonder over to a grocery store and buy a can of Libby's. Not so muchhere. If you can get it, it is EXPENSIVE. Because, after all, it's imported. You know what's cheaper? Making your own. And it's super duper easy. Almost a "set it and forget it" task. Anyone else obsessed with the Ronco food product infomercials? Nobody?
Hmmm... moving on.

I use tiny pumpkins, back home they'd be called "sugar pumpkins" You can roast your pumpkin two ways.

1. Cut apart the pumpkin and scoop out the good. Put the chunks on a sheet pan and put in a 225 degree oven (425 for you Fahrenheit folks). Roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the pieces can be pierced easily with a fork. When done, take the pieces out of the oven and cool slightly. Peel off skin and put pumpkin in a food processor or food mill. Puree away and enjoy!

2. The slightly more lazy way: put the entire pumpkin on the rack in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour or until a knife can pierce through to the middle. Take the pumpkin out of the oven and let it cool slightly. Now cut that squishy dude in half and scoop out the seeds and such. The skin will peel off easily and you pop the pumpkin meat into a food processor or food mill and puree away!

I love this because it's mega cheap and I know exactly what's in the puree. Pumpkin! No mystery ingredients here. And I can make a huge batch (see stacked containers above) of puree and put it in two cup containers and freeze it for whenever I need it. It defrosts well and can be used in cookies, bread, cake, pasta... anything your pumpkin lovin' self wants to do!

So go out there and make some pumpkin puree! After all, you can use this delicious pumpkin puree to make your own pumpkin spice latte syrup. Tempting, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment