Friday, November 11, 2011

Epic Throwdown: Us vs. Brachs (big fail)





One of my best mates from Cairo, Jen, is visiting us in Beijing this week. We are generally an awesome duo. Not to toot our own horns, but we are fabulous. Put us together and we'll rock your socks off. We can bake circles around normal folk and Jen is slowly learning to cook. Living abroad for three years now, we have become copy kat extraordinaire. No pumpkin spice latte available? Make your own. I pride myself in being able to figure out how to make things, from scratch. So when I mentioned to my living- in-sin partner that I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted some candy corn this Halloween season, he found a recipe for me online. Which I had not gotten around to making until reinforcements arrived. Don't get me wrong, the recipe is simple enough, I just had other things on my mind- you know, settling into a whole new country, setting up a house, figuring our the curriculum to a whole new school- easy stuff. Jen leaves tonight, much to my dismay, and we decided to make candy corn; while enjoying some Christmas music. We were a well oiled machine of organization and badass. Until we calculated the incorrect amount of butter. Oops. No worries, we had plenty more where that came from. Batch number two held nothing but possibilities and potential. It came together beautifully, was relatively easy to color. 2nd batch was a success... or so we thought. As we started to roll out fabulous ropes, it started to harden a bit. Hmm.... we thought,and rolled faster. Let me here state that whomever wrote this cakespy recipe found here must have some kinda magic up their sleeve. Because our candy corn looked and tasted nasty. N-A-S-T-Y. It was hard and crunchy in an unappealing way, which really, is everything hard and crunchy unless we're talking biscotti, but that's another post. We struggled to roll some ropes and put them together. We did cut out a few candies and while they look passable, they are now cute rocks. Just as my living-in-sin friend. We told him to try one and he's currently at the dentist, getting new teeth put in. And so friends, I declare the Brachs vs. Jen and Lauren Candy Corn Throw down an epic fail. We were bitch-slapped by a simple recipe. And thus, we order pizza and slink off to leave the sugar coated conundrum for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment