So as you may or may not have guessed, PB is not a chef. He's not even an amateur cook. To be honest, the only time he goes in to the kitchen to get bevs and leftovers for lunch the next day. Or maybe to throw something out. After a quiet, civilized conversation, (really, it wasn't that bad, honest) we (I) decided that he should learn to help a little in the kitchen. So on Monday, he decided (was forced to) help out in the kitchen. And wouldn't you know it, he did GREAT! Things he said that made me laugh when he was working:
1. This knife is awesome. I love it.
2. How do you do the fast choppy thing?
3. This isn't that hard.
Of course, it helps that our kitchen is easily three times larger what is was in Cairo. Both of us in the kitchen in Cairo usually meant one of us (me) wanting to physically harm (murder) the other.
But last night, things went beautifully, and while the chicken simmered away, I had time to make gingerbread cake because PB had already made the salad. WIN! Looks like I have a prep cook from now on... :)
So make someone important to you do some manual labor, whatever it is! Oh, and while they are working hard, you can make some Gingerbread Cake! See, sharing work really equals cake. Remind them of that if they complain. Repeat the word cake as necessary. It will work, I'm sure of it. If not, give them no cake.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg.
- 2. Combine the water and molasses.
- 3. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 4. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan, or line the pan with parchment paper and don't grease it, mine came out just fine without greasing the pan or parchment.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit (176 Celsius) for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, if you're naughty like that. And trust me, you should be.
- Makes: 9 servings.