Saturday, March 17, 2012

Not Your Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup

(Sorry about the pic, had to take it on my mobile, as I totally forgot to charge my camera battery, not one of my better moments, I'll admit.)
As the winter clings on, my habit of making soup at least once a week continues. 
So this week: Curried Chicken Noodle Soup. 
It's not too spicy (my tummy would not approve) but it's a great combination of flavors.


Ingredients
2 lb of Chicken Breast, cut into bite sized pieces
21 ounces of Coconut Milk (1 1/5 cans)
2 tbsp Red Curry Paste- I bought mine, I didn't make it (gasp)
1tsp Ground Turmeric
1 1/2 pints (generous 3 cups) Chicken Stock
2 tbsp Fish Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
handful of Coriander Leaves, roughly chopped
14 ox Dried or Fresh Egg Noodles- not the super flat ones if you can manage there are thicker ones , I, living in Beijing, got to take what I can get.


Garnishes (which I totally forgot to photograph, cause I'm awesome)
1-2 Red Chillies, seeded and finely diced
4 Shallots, finely sliced
4 Spring Onions, sliced at an angle


Directions
1. Pour the contents of one can of coconut milk into a wok or large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until it comes to rolling boil, add curry paste and turmeric. Stir to make a rich sauce, then reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Ad the chicken and stir in spicy mixture until well coated. Pour in the other 1/2 can coconut milk, fish sauce and soy sauce, then cook over medium heat until chicken is tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Cook noodles according to package.
4. Place noodles in bowls and pour on the soup. Top with coriander leaves and garnishes to your taste.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment